Thursday, November 28, 2013

LOST & FOUND




"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude." 
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Captain Philips is a movie that deals with issues of control.
Self control, control of others, everything is under control.


A responsibility.
A ship .
A life 


On December 23 rd 2010 I fainted, convulsed and lost memory and track of time for 5 mins. It has been the scariest moment in my life. Every day we do so many things and take so much for granted. Walking, speaking, opening a door, driving to work or drinking coffee. Imagine just for a second your crossing the street and in a blink of an eye darkness. Total darkness. Suddenly light! You are laying on the side walk. 10 people around you asking you “are you are all right?”. But when you try to find an answer your brain says nothing. You have a head ache and your whole body hurts. You are completely helpess. You cannot think. You cannot remember anything. Your arms hurt ,your legs hurt. Suddenly a friendly face tells me “I called your wife she´s coming over”
For five minutes I couldn’t recall my name, my age, what I was doing there, where I was going. Nothing. My brain was blank. As a white piece of paper. Nothing. I spent a night at the hospital, feeling numb, weird, I had no strength no way of walking without aid. I couldn´t speak perfectly. Everything was "yes" or "no" I felt so trapped and alone in this foggy mind. My loved ones arrived at my aid. Believe it or not I began feeling better just watching their familiar faces. Your mind becomes this  endless passage way. Your memories are not so focused and are a little blurry. You think everything 30 times. It was a slow process to get to today. Speaking again fluently, thinking again quickly, remembering people and anecdotes. I was so hopeful of getting my strength back. Being able to do things on my own. The Horror.

I spent 2 weeks with a lot of clouds in my mind. I slept all day. I couldn’t drive or work, couldn’t drink coffee. Couldn’t remember a lot. You feel like crying all the time. I was helpless. My life had changed. What I wouldn’t give for a chance to run, to go for a walk, to grab a cup of coffee. To eat popcorn watching a movie. I couldn´t move properly I couldn’t speak correctly. Making sentences was so hard. To this day there isn’t a day I don’t cherish my wife, my parents, my sister, my brother, my friends all my loved ones. To be able to move, speak, laug, drive, being thankful for those who help me every day basically just the whole experience being alive is.  I recall the first movie we went to see was TRON LEGACY. I was so happy. I am so  happy.

Captain Philips touched something very deep inside me. It made me remember how this ilussion of control is just that. An ilussion. And how fortunate we are of being able to help others. To make the Lost... Found.

No comments:

Post a Comment