Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The recipe is you.



"I want to be surprised as a filmmaker. I was an audience member long before I was ever a director. And so as an audience member I know what I respond to: I like being surprised, I like being respected, I like being challenged, I like being instigated, I like movies that live for me on the screen, that are like friends of mine, and as I go back to them over the course of my life they actually seem to change, and I know that they’re not changing, I know I am changing, but the movies are made open enough that they let me participate in the imagination of the characters in the story." -DEREK CIANFRANCE DIRECTOR (Blue Valentine)



Before NETFLIX i remember when my brother, my sister and I had to wait for my dad on Fridays to take us to the video rental store. For me it was something almost religious. Better than going to buy candies and almost as fun as watching toys. Friday night picking a movie out to rent was something far off this world. Because of two things my dad let us pick any movie, but just one. And we got to buy popcorn and pizza!!! i love movies, popcorn & pizza!

That was the way me and my siblings grew & watched many films for 20 years!

Before IMDB, My dad usually had us playing movie-trivia in our living room without us noticing. Who is that actor? In what other movie I’ve seen her? Is that a remake? This film is too dark i can´t see anything!!! He also did it during a movie in the movie theatre.


My dad wanted WAR films or EPIC films or usually (Where Eagles Dare, The Ten Commandments or The Godfather.) My mom preferred musicals or Disney cartoons (Sound of Music or Wizard of OZ, DUMBO or BAMBI). Usually my brother, my sister and I had the same taste: sometimes a comedy or a Horror movie or a Western or Star Wars again and again. As a family sometimes we had to watch movies we didn´t like. But it gave us a wider perspective or a bigger color palette. This visual education had a deep impact in all of us.


It shaped me as someone who likes to watch any kind of film and then makes the comment. Never before. Having a better eye to make better judgments. Pacino, De Niro, Newman, Redford, Shelly Long, Shelly Duvall, Brando, Taylor, Sellers, Wilder. Today trailers have become spoilers. Here´s the money shot. Do we really need to see the whole #!%&ing movie in 3 mins.? just to want to go and see it???...


I remember a time walking inside the movie rental store. Just picking by the poster of the film. We were influenced by so many movies, actors, directors. It makes us realize that those days are gone. That innocence of picking without knowing. Nowadays on Oscar night my brother my sister my wife and I… print the whole list of nominees and we try to guess who will win. The one who gets more wins. Just for fun. Like when we picked movies in the Video Rental Store.


"Be yourself. Find your style, your way; find the border and cross it, or else you may be lost or, even worse, boring. Don’t forget what you really want to say. There is no recipe. The recipe is you." -BÉLA TARR DIRECTOR 
(Kárhozat)

3 comments:

  1. Nice!! totalmente de acuerdo, y la sorpresa donde quedo??!! yo creo q nunca he visto el trailer del Padrino, o del Cavernicola, soy fan!, bien bro!, me gusto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!! How about the autocinema, when every saturday, our parents take us to that wonderful place, and when the sandwiches, made for mom, are the best dinner to have with the movie.
    Awsome memories, and also, the liberty to pick a blockbuster on the rental store, like, ET, or The Goonies. The best movie ever by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gran época... y así era, te decidías por una película en base al póster, la veías en tu casa y no te gustaba, pero era lo único que tenías para todo el fin de semana y la veías dos o tres veces jajaja

    ReplyDelete